How To Find HOA Contact Information and Documents

Search for HOA information

Finding the homeowners' association linked to a property can sometimes be frustrating and time-consuming. The good news is that you may not have to drive down to your county's office to retrieve the information you need, thanks to Google. This article will attempt to help you save time by giving you step by step instructions and directing you to the right government agencies where the homeowners association information and documentation are usually stored. 

Two important factors to understand:

  1. Homeowners' associations are created by the recording of the community's Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions, commonly known as the "covenants" or "CC&Rs," and community plats or surveys. These documents must be recorded with the county recorder's office to create restrictions that run with the property, and provide record notice of the contractual obligations to prospective buyers, and

  2. Most homeowners associations are incorporated as nonprofit corporations and may be required to file annual reports with the corporation commission, in order to remain in good standing.

With this understanding, the following steps may be taken to locate a homeowners' association associated with a particular property.

Step 1 -  Know the name of your subdivision or community.

If you don't know the name of your community, you may be able to obtain the information from your county assessor's office. Open your google search and type: “[name of your county] county assessor property search” to find the page you need to conduct the search and find legal information about your property. Make sure you visit a government site and not a website that charges for this information.

For example, let's assume your property is in Brevard, Florida. We would visit the Brevard's county assessor site and conduct a property search to find the legal information of the property.  In most cases, you will be able to conduct a search by:

  • Owner's Name

  • Property Address

  • Parcel ID

  • Subdivision Name

  • Condominium Name

Other ways to find the name of your community or subdivision are:

  • Google your address as your neighbor down the street may be selling his or her property and the real estate agent may have all the community information you seek posted online.

  • Review your property's deed or mortgage. These documents will have the legal information of your property, including the name of the subdivision and the association’s name.

  • Ask your neighbor.

Step 2 - Find your association's corporation information

Now that you have the name of your community and/or subdivision, you can find your association's contact information by visiting your state's corporation commission website. Using the same example, we would visit the Florida Corporations Commission and conduct a corporation search by entering the name of the subdivision or community.

Most states require associations to file the articles of incorporation and annual reports disclosing the following information:

  • Entity Legal Name

  • Principal Address

  • Mailing Address

  • Registered Agent Name & Address

  • Officer/Director Detail

Typically, you can download the association's articles of incorporation and annual reports at no cost. However, some states may charge a fee.

HOA and Condo Contact Information Search

Alabama Alabama Secretary of State
Alaska Alaska Corporation Commission
Arizona Arizona Corporation Commission
Arkansas Arkansas Secretary of State
California California Secretary of State
Colorado Colorado Secretary of State
Connecticut Connecticut Secretary of State
Delaware Delaware Division of Corporations
District of Columbia District of Columbia Office of the Secretary
Florida Florida Department of State
Georgia Florida Department of State
Hawaii Hawaii Business Registration Division
Idaho Idaho Secretary of State
Illinois Office of The Illinois Secretary of State
Indiana Indiana Secretary of State
Iowa Iowa Secretary of State
Kansas Kansas Secretary of State
Kentucky Kentucky Secretary of State
Louisiana Louisiana Secretary of State
Maine Maine Secretary of State
Maryland Maryland Secretary of State
Massachusetts Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth
Michigan Michigan Secretary of State
Minnesota Minnesota Secretary of State
Mississippi Mississippi Secretary of State
Missouri Missouri Secretary of State
Montana Montana Secretary of State
Nebraska Nebraska Secretary of State
Nevada Nevada's Business Portal
New Hampshire New Hampshire Secretary of State
New Jersey State of New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services
New Mexico New Mexico Secretary of State
New York New York Division of Corporations
North Carolina North Carolina Secretary of State
North Dakota North Dakota Secretary of State
Ohio Ohio Secretary of State
Oklahoma Oklahoma Secretary of State
Oregon Oregon Secretary of State
Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Department of State
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Corporations
Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of State
South Carolina South Carolina Secretary of State
South Dakota South Dakota Secretary of State
Tennessee Tennessee Secretary of State
Texas Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Utah Utah Secretary of State
Vermont Vermont Secretary of State
Virginia Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporation Commission
Washington Washington Secretary of State
West Virginia West Virginia Secretary of State
Wisconsin Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
Wyoming Wyoming Secretary of State

Step 3 - View your association's recorded documents

Now that you have your association's legal name, let's visit the county recorder's website to view all the documents your association has recorded, including the Declaration and plats.

Most counties will give you the option to conduct a search by:

  • Name

  • Document Number

  • Document Type

  • Map

  • Recording Date

  • Subdivision Name

Unfortunately, most states will charge you a fee to download or print a document. However, they typically allow you to view the document, for free.

Step 4 - Make sure you have the right association

As you may know, most communities have similar names, so don't jump to conclusions. In order to determine if an association is linked to a property, you will have to review the following documents:

  • Plat or subdivision map recorded by the association. This document illustrates which lots/properties are part of a particular subdivision.

  • The association's CC&Rs will list the lot numbers that are within the development and part of the association, and

  • Deed - Your deed may expressly provide that the property is subject to covenants and may list the recording number and county where the covenants were recorded.

Step 5 - Finding multiple associations linked to a property

It's not uncommon to find two or three associations linked to one property, especially in Florida. For this reason, it is important that you read your association's CC&Rs to make sure no other associations exist.  Moreover, the CC&Rs will provide the legal description of the property subject to the association. This information is usually found as an Exhibit to the CC&Rs.

Step 6 - Contacting your homeowners' association

If your association has a management company, it may be as simple as making a phone call to request information about your association account. However, many associations are self-managed and may require you to draft a short letter requesting the information you seek. Keep in mind that an association's board has a fiduciary duty of care, reasonable inquiry, and good faith.

In addition, as previously discussed, homeowners have the right to inspect and copy the records of the association. In particular, state laws define which HOA documents members can inspect, how they must make an inspection request, whether and how much the board can charge for copies of the HOA documents, and what recourse homeowners have if the board refuses the inspection. We hope you find this information helpful.